Johns Hopkins University

Site Map | Contact Us | Directions | Legal | Confidentiality
Human Resources

You are now looking at our old site. Information here may be outdated. For current information, please click here to visit the Professional Development page at


What's New

  Learning and Development Course Catalog - Fall 2010
  Laboratory Training Fall 2010 Registration Form
  Financial Administration Training Program Sequence
  FY11 Medical Billing and Coding Registration Form
  Sexual Harassment Training
  Computers and Office Furniture Donations









Am I eligible to take these classes?
These programs are open to all full-time and part-time faculty and staff on the university payroll.

Can other categories of Johns Hopkins employees attend?
The courses offered by the Center for Training and Education are available to any individual with a work affiliation to the Johns Hopkins University who is employed as a temporary or student worker, as well as Post Doctoral Fellows and employees of the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. These categories of employees may register for courses only if space is available in the session requested, and only when their department approves their attendance, and the department is willing to pay the published course rate for the session. For departments that have a university budget number, payment can be made by placing a valid budget number on the registration form. A check issued by one of the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions may also be used for payment. A copy of the check requisition must accompany the individual's registration form and checks should be made payable to "Johns Hopkins University," and sent to the appropriate training coordinator.

Does this come out of my Tuition Remission money? How much do these classes cost?
NO, classes for which full-time and part-time faculty and staff register and attend are charged to Staff Development Remission, a separate benefit from Tuition Remission. This payment transaction is handled by the center without any further attention on your part, when you sign the class roster to indicate you have attended the full time allotted for the course. Course fees vary; contact the appropriate training coordinator if you would like to know the cost of your training..

Do I need to fill out the pink Tuition Remission forms?
NO, Tuition Remission forms are not needed for these classes. All you need to do is complete the registration form, along with the Budget Authorization and Supervisory Approval boxes, and fax the form to the appropriate training coordinator.

When is it too late to register for a class?
To avoid a canceled or closed class, students are encouraged to register two weeks prior to the first day of class. Space permitting, registrations are accepted until the start of the class.

Whom should I call if there is inclement weather?
Please call the university Weather Emergency Line at 410.516.7781 or, from outside the Baltimore area, 1.800.548.9004. If the university closes or delays opening, all classes will be canceled. When the university is open during inclement weather, all attempts will be made to hold scheduled classes. However, in extreme weather emergencies, you should call 443.997.6803 after 7am (the day of the class) for the recorded message concerning the status of classes.

How do I cancel a class I'm registered for?
Written notice of cancellation must be made at least one week before the class and faxed to the appropriate training coordinator (i.e., if your class is on a Friday, you will need to send your cancellation notice to the center by the previous Friday, EOB). Classes for which staff register but do not attend, or cancel without at least one week's notice, are charged to the department budget number authorized on the registration form. Participants will receive a notice of cancellation from the center. If your name is on the roster and you do not attend, your department will be charged. Departments are responsible for cancellations if a staff member transfers to another department or leaves the university. Exceptions may be made for absences, such as the death of a family member, unexpected hospitalizations, automobile or personal injury accidents, and serious illness with official written documentation. Conflicts in work schedules do not qualify for waivers. Written documentation is required in all instances.

I am registered for a class tomorrow that I won't be able to attend. Is there anything I can do so my department budget won't be charged?
Departments may send a substitute if that person has the same learning goal as the original participant. Staff substituted must be in a similar position, have the same objectives for attending, and be otherwise eligible.

What if I have to arrive late or leave early?
The university's normal business hours are 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M. To allow for travel from your regular work location, training is conducted between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M. (unless otherwise stated in the catalog). Please plan to arrive by 8:30 A.M., to allow sufficient time to: find a parking space, meet the instructor and your fellow students, clear your mind to prepare for learning, and receive your course materials. Plan for mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks, to have an hour free for lunch, and for the course to run its full, allotted time. Due to the disruption to the class and to the learning experiences of other attendees, participants who arrive late (in the morning or after lunch) will not be allowed to enter courses that are already in progress. Leaving classes early means that you will not have the opportunity to gain all of the learning outcomes that were intended for the course. Arriving late or leaving early on your part will result in your department being charged for the cost of the full day of training. We design each of these training experiences to be a learning-filled day, and we ask that you plan your day to make the most of it!

Will there be food served?
NO, there will not be food served. There will be complimentary beverages. There are microwaves and refrigerators available for food brought from home.